Gender equality in journalism and trade unionism is a central concern of the International Federation of Journalists.
A conference on gender equality attended by women from the IFJ member unions in the five continents was held in Seoul, Korea, in 2001, on the day preceding the XXIV World Congress of the IFJ.
The conference based its works on the results of the survey that the IFJ Secretariat had carried out among its membership, titled "Equality for Quality: Setting Standards for Women in Journalism".
The picture drawn by the 2001 survey showed that much still needs to be accomplished for women to achieve equality in journalism. The Seoul Congress adopted a policy on Mainstreaming Equality in Journalism through the IFJ regional structures and project programme.
A Plan of Action of 7 points was adopted. It addresses:
- Women in journalism
- Women in the union
- Equal pay for work of equal value
- Portrayal of women in the media
- IFJ women network
- Women in the IFJ
- Access to training
The implementation of the Plan of Action is undertaken by the Gender Council, which is composed of a decentralized structure of regional coordinators on gender issues and of a Gender Council Steering Committee.
The IFJ project division ensures that gender issues are addressed and included in IFJ programmes worldwide.
Want to get updated news on gender in the media? Simply click to subcribe the IFJ Gender Equality newsletter!
Learning resource kit for gender ethical journalism and media house policies (FR, EN, ES, Arabic)
Women Journalists partners in trade union leadership- Gender fact sheets (Middle east and Arab World)
Programme IFJ conference on Gender and Ethics, 30-31st May 2009
Contact: Pamela Morinière
- Recommandations de la FIJ FR 2.pdf
- agenda FR.doc
- Gender Declaration May 2009-F.doc
- IFJ Guidelines for Reporting on Violence Against Women EN.pdf
- GUIAS MUJERES .pdf
- brosura prijelom zadnje (2).pdf
- E Plan of action Gender Council.doc
- F Women action plan.doc
- Etude sur l'égalité des genres dans les médias en RIM.doc
- GenderLIST final 2010 (web).doc
- Gender Pay Gap in Journalism
- Woman and journalist first
- Femmes et journalistes d'abord
- EFJ Policy on Sexual Harassment
- Politique contre le harcèlement sexuel au sein de la FEJ
- Gender survey report 2013 final.pdf
- Questionnaire on women and youth in the unions RUJ.pdf