CAMPAIGN: Set JOURNALISTS FREE in Turkey
In 2010, the European Federation of Journalists (EFJ) launched an international campaign to set free all journalists in Turkey. EFJ unions in Belgium, France, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Hungary, Germany, Spain and Italy have already been linked with arrested journalists in Turkey. With that help, over 60 other detained journalists could benefit from a direct pairing in this way.
Over 700 individuals and organisations around the world have joined the "Set Turkish Journalists Free" campaign thanks to your support. In 2010, many journalists and their unions sent a petition letter to the Turkish Prime Minister, Mr Recep Tayyip Erdogan, calling for the release of the jailed journalists in Turkey. As of today, 60 professional journalists still remain in Turkish prisons with many waiting desperately a fair trial.
For further information please get in touch with our campaign coordinator Renate Schroeder.
Please join our online petition now to help set journalists free in Turkey. Click here to sign now.
- 20 September 2013: Imprisoned Journalist Füsun Erdoğan's Trial Continues
- 19 September 2013: Pro-Kurdish News Organizations Call All Journalists to Attend 25 September KCK Trial (in Turkish)
- 17 September 2013: Turkey Press Freedom Crisis Worsens Post-Gezi (Committee to Protect Journalists)
- 16 September 2013: CPJ Calls on Erdogan to Embrace Press Freedom (Committee to Protect Journalists)
- 12 September 2013: At Least 12 Journalists Attacked by Police in Space of Two Days (Reporters Without Borders)
- 12 September 2013: OdaTV Trial Adjourned until 12 December, EFJ Observer Reports
- 30 August 2013: Journalists Urge Norwegian King to Act on Turkey
- 23 August 2013: EU Commissioner Füle
responds to EFJ's call to act on violence against journalists
- 7 August 2013: Journalists sentenced in alleged Ergenekon plot, CPJ media release
- 7 August 2013: EFJ protest letter to Turkish embassy
- 7 August 2013: EFJ Observer Patrick Kamenka reports back from Ergenekon trial
- 6 August 2013: NJ protest letter to Turkish embasy in Norway; dju in ver.di protest letter to Turkish embassy in Germany
- 6 August 2013: Ergenekon case: Severe sentences for Turkish journalists violates freedom of media, says EFJ/IFJ
- 6 August 2013: Ergenekon case sentences (details re: journalists)
- 5 August 2013: Norwegian Union of Journalists protests against life sentence of adopted journalist Tuncay Özkan in Ergenekon case
An in-depth list of detained Turkish journalists including the number of days of their imprisonment can be found here.
You can find a timeline with all important events that happened in Turkey and missions EFJ undertook to attend trials here.
02 December (Silivri/Istanbul) : next hearing in KCK Press case with 46 journalists (20 imprisoned) and media workers on trial, in Silivri (70 km from Istanbul)
12 December (Istanbul): KCK (Sadiye Eser, Evrensel newspaper). Istanbul Çağlayan Justice Palace.
12 December (Istanbul): OdaTV trial. Istanbul Çağlayan Justice Palace. The EFJ observer is Barry White.
15 January 2014: defamation case between ETHA news agency and police officer (Sedat Selim Ay)
25 February 2014: DHKP-C case, Sami Menteş (released) and Gamze Keşkek (imprisoned)