Picture of the day
Staff from the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) and European Federation of Journalists (EFJ) joined a large crowd outside the Greek Embassy in Brussels on Friday morning, 14 June, for a Solidarity Protest condemning the closure of Greek public broadcaster ERT, supporting the staff who were sacked, and calling for the Greek government to reverse its decision and put the broadcaster back on air.
CAMPAIGN: Set JOURNALISTS FREE in Turkey
The European Federation of Journalists (EFJ) launched an international campaign to set free all journalists in Turkey. EFJ unions in Belgium, France, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Hungary, Germany, Spain and Italy have already been linked with arrested journalists in Turkey. With that help, more than 70 other detained journalists could benefit from a direct pairing in this way.
Over 700 individuals and organisations around the world have joined the "Set Turkish Journalists Free" campaign thanks to your support. Thousands of human rights activists have sent a petition letter to the Turkish Prime Minister, Mr Recep Tayyip Erdogan, calling for the release of the jailed journalists in Turkey. As of today, 66 professional journalists still remain in Turkish prisons with many waiting desperately a fair trial.
For further information please get in touch with our campaign coordinator Renate Schroeder
- 13 June 2013 - Court sent Yalçin Küçük back to prison
after hearing, Barry White, EFJ Steering Committee member
- 24 May 2013 - Blogger sentenced to jail for insulting prophet, CPJ
- 21 May 2013 - Letter from prison by Ömer Celik: We are gratitous for your support (in German), DJU in ver.di
- 17 May 2013 - Report Offers Solutions on Freer Press in Turkey, Bianet website
- 16 May 2013 - Turkey and the Dream of Ottoman Revival, WSJ, H. Fradkin, L. Libby
- 16 May 2013 - Turkey's press freedom must be on Obama-Erdoğan agenda, CPJ, Nina Ognianova
- 13 May 2013 - Journalists protest media ban in Reyhanlı Blasts, Bianet website
- 10 May 2013 - Seda Aktepe freed in Italy, Bianet website
- 10 May 2013 - EFJ urges authorities to free journalists in Ergenekon court hearing
- 8 May 2013 - BIA Media Monitoring Report, Bianet, Emel Gülcan
- 7 May 2013 - Police violence against journalists covering dispersal of protesters, Reuters
- 6 May 2013 - Picture gallery of Kite Flying for World Press Freedom Day in Turkey, EFJ website
- 3 May 2013 - BBC Turkey report for World Press Freedom Day
- 3 May 2013 - Report on World Press Freedom Day event about Turkey, Francis Sedgemore, NUJ
An in-depth list of detained Turkish journalists including the number of days of their imprisonment can be found here.
You can find a timeline with all important events that happened in Turkey and missions EFJ undertook to attend trials here.
17-19 June in Istanbul: next hearing in the KCK press case
13 June in Istanbul: next hearing in OdaTV trial
4 June: next hearing in the MLKP case
2 May in London: World Press Freedom Day event - Campaigning for Press and Media Freedom in Turkey
26 April in Brussels: Association des journalistes professionels Press Conference on Turkey (11am, Rue de la Senne)
22-26 April in Istanbul : next hearings in KCK press case
21 March in Istanbul : next hearing in OdaTV case
11 March in Istanbul : next hearing in Ergenekon case
18 Feb in Istanbul : next hearing in Ergenekon case
04 Feb in Istanbul : next hearing in KCK Istanbul case: EFJ President Arne König will be present
02 Feb in Istanbul : Protest to support jailed journalists in Turkey